Sunday, August 26, 2012

Sunday Book Coveting - August 26, 2012

My birthday is in a bit over a month and I am all ready thinking about books. I haven't had a decent book splurge since Christmas and I think I am due, right? Here are what I am thinking:
It’s 1939. The Nazis have supermen, the British have demons, and one perfectly normal man gets caught in between.
Raybould Marsh is a British secret agent in the early days of the Second World War, haunted by something strange he saw on a mission during the Spanish Civil War: a German woman with wires going into her head who looked at him as if she knew him.
When the Nazis start running missions with people who have unnatural abilities—a woman who can turn invisible, a man who can walk through walls, and the woman Marsh saw in Spain who can use her knowledge of the future to twist the present—Marsh is the man who has to face them. He rallies the secret warlocks of Britain to hold the impending invasion at bay. But magic always exacts a price. Eventually, the sacrifice necessary to defeat the enemy will be as terrible as outright loss would be.
Alan Furst meets Alan Moore in the opening of an epic of supernatural alternate history, the tale of a twentieth century like ours and also profoundly different.
I saw this book mentioned on Twitter. It sounds really good! I saw somewhere it was compared to Naomi Novik's series. On to my wish list it did go.

On remote Rollrock Island, men go to sea to make their livings--and to catch their wives.
The witch Misskaella knows the way of drawing a girl from the heart of a seal, of luring the beauty out of the beast. And for a price a man may buy himself a lovely sea-wife. He may have and hold and keep her. And he will tell himself that he is her master. But from his first look into those wide, questioning, liquid eyes, he will be just as transformed as she. He will be equally ensnared. And the witch will have her true payment.
Margo Lanagan weaves an extraordinary tale of desire, despair, and transformation. With devastatingly beautiful prose, she reveals characters capable of unspeakable cruelty, but also unspoken love.
After a couple slow starts, I ended up loving Tender Morsels by this author. This was on my lists since way back at Christmas time, but I haven't ordered it yet. Soon!

After previous assignments in London, the depths of the Atlantic Ocean, and the Australian rain forest, this final adventure in the Hunchback Assignments series finds our hero, shape-shifting, masked spy Modo, on his most personal quest. Along with fellow spy Octavia Milkweed, they search for Modo's biological parents. But when the Clockwork Guild find Modo's parents first, Octavia and Modo chase them across Europe and North America to the Island of Doom. Joined by memorable characters from the first three books--some lovable, and some who are terrifying and evil--Modo and Octavia dash towards a thrilling conclusion.
The last book in the series... Sad! The only reason I don't have this book all ready is because the bookstore here doesn't have it.

The seventh instalment in the biggest, funniest, most thrilling comedy-horror-adventure series in the universe - and the follow-up to 2011’s number-one bestseller, Death Bringer…
Magic is a disease.
Across the land, normal people are suddenly developing wild and unstable powers. Infected by a rare strain of magic, they are unwittingly endangering their own lives and the lives of the people around them. Terrified and confused, their only hope lies with the Sanctuary. Skulduggery Pleasant and Valkyrie Cain are needed now more than ever.
And then there's the small matter of Kitana. A normal teenage girl who, along with her normal teenage friends, becomes infected. Becomes powerful. Becomes corrupted. Wielding the magic of gods, they're set to tear the city apart unless someone stands up against them.
Looks like it's going to be another one of those days…
New Skulduggery Pleasant. Yay!

Evie O'Neill has been exiled from her boring old hometown and shipped off to the bustling streets of New York City--and she is pos-i-toot-ly thrilled. New York is the city of speakeasies, shopping, and movie palaces! Soon enough, Evie is running with glamorous Ziegfield girls and rakish pickpockets. The only catch is Evie has to live with her Uncle Will, curator of The Museum of American Folklore, Superstition, and the Occult--also known as "The Museum of the Creepy Crawlies."
When a rash of occult-based murders comes to light, Evie and her uncle are right in the thick of the investigation. And through it all, Evie has a secret: a mysterious power that could help catch the killer--if he doesn't catch her first.
New Libba Bray! And a new series... Fun!

What books are you coveting for a book splurge?

12 comments:

  1. You need The Brides of Rollrock Island now!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had a book splurge and bought 5 of Terry Pratchett's Sam Vimes books for my Kindle. Even though I own them all in paperback...

    I love the sound of The Brides of Rollrock Island. Must go and check that out. And Arthur Slade has been on my radar for a while so I must try his books.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The Diviners sounds SO good! And I am looking forward to read The Brides of Rollrock Island as well. I hope you get the chance to enjoy all of these!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with Ana. The Brides of Rollrock Island = ahMAYzing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The Brides of Rollrock Island is a great read. Maybe you should celebrate your birthday early. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've heard really good things about Bitter Seeds (and didn't the sequel just come out?), and those others look really good too!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Those all sound amazing! I love all the covers, too. Gosh, book covers can be so lovely these days, I would frame them and put them on my wall!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the covers of Skullduggery. If you love it then I need to read them too. 1 and 2 are sitting on my school shelves...will have to make a note of it!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh I didn't know Libba Bray had a new book. Sounds like it'll be good.

    I haven't had a good book splurge in a long while either. Have fun planning which books to get :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Anonymous12:15 AM

    Well if the covers are anything to go by, that's some serious awesomeness ahead.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I want the Margo Lanagan too, am debating if I can wait until it's in softcover or not. I just added Bitter Seeds to my to-get list, it looks really interesting! I knew about the Libba Bray, though I have to finish the other series first. The other novels have amazing covers! It's so much fun to make a want list up, isn't it? Happy book shopping/wanting for your birthday, Kelly!

    ReplyDelete
  12. You know Bitter Seeds caught my eye! ;)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and commenting!

I am so sorry, but I turned anonymous commenting off. I have had it from the very beginning, but that is how the spam is getting by my spam filter at the moment. If it is a big deal I will turn it back on and moderate all comments. I also changed moderation from older than 14 days to older than 7.