Saturday, December 07, 2013

100 Best Songs of 2013 - Picked by the Rolling Stone

So, I was on Twitter on Friday when the Rolling Stone magazine released their list of the 100 Best Songs of 2013. I don't really listen to new music, so I thought it would be fun to work my way through the list and see what the best songs of the year were. So far I don't really find that I missed much. This is the first 30 songs, though, so that hopefully means they get better!

100 - 'Shot at the Night' by The Killers:
Thoughts: I have heard of The Killers before, but never really listened to them. I was actually expecting a completely different sound from a band called The Killers. The song was actually catchy in its own way. I didn't mind it.

99 - 'Lecce, Leaving' by Lee Ranaldo and The Dust
Thoughts: At first I didn't think I was going to like this at all, but as it got going it was actually not that bad. I have never really listened to Sonic Youth. Maybe it is because I am meant to start listening when they have all gone solo? We will see.

98 - 'Your Life is a Lie' by MGMT
Thoughts: Another group I have heard of, but never really listened to before. Not really anything amazing about the song. I didn't hate it. It was just okay.

97 - 'Wagon Wheel' by Darius Rucker
Thoughts: This song! This might be the first time I have actually heard the original... I like this song and think I should see what else this singer has. It's a catchy song that I find myself singing along with just because it has been everywhere this year. That's not really a bad thing!

96 - 'C'mon Stimmung' by No Age
Thoughts: Yeah, I hated this. They should hire themselves a real band and a real singer.

95 - 'Still Into You' by Paramore
Thoughts: Turns out I have heard this song before. It is catchy and she can sing rather well. I am not sure I would run out and buy her CD, but so far it is one of my favourite songs off the list.

94 - 'Ohio' by Patty Griffin
Thoughts: I just can't get into her singing with Robert Plant. It just doesn't work for me. She can sing and should sing alone... I don't get why Robert Plant is so famous, but I suppose the Led Zeppelin following is discovering her because of it.

93 - 'Ingenue' by Atoms for Peace
Thoughts: The songs seem to be getting worse instead of better...

92 - 'Dream House' by Deafheaven
Thoughts: Oh, my god! What the hell was that?

91 - 'Everything' by Nine Inch Nails
Thoughts: Me: I hate Nine Inch Nails. After that song, though... Guy: At least it is real music. I still hate Nine Inch Nails.

90 - 'Avant Gardener' by Courtney Barnett
Thoughts: She needs a little attitude... And a personality... Her back-up 'singers' are who she should emulate.

89 - 'The Outsiders' by Eric Church
Thoughts: This is crazy! No wonder I don't listen to new music. That being said this is an improvement over many of them.

88: 'Stare at the Sun' by Eleanor Friedberger
Thoughts: She's not bad and there are dogs in the video.

87 - 'Waxahatchee' by Brother Bryan
Thoughts:  Boring...

86 - 'My Songs Know What You Did in the Dark' by Fall Out Boy
Thoughts: This is one of the best songs so far.

85 - 'Trying to be Cool' by Phoenix
Thoughts: This was pretty cool. I will have to see more from them.

84 - 'Q.U.E.E.N. by Janelle Monae
Thoughts: Not terrible!

83: 'God is Dead' by Black Sabbath
Thoughts: I missed they even had a CD out. While I won't say I am a big fan of them, I do like a song here and there. This one wasn't terrible.

82: 'Treason! Animals' by Franz Ferdinand
Thoughts: Well, I didn't hate it, but I also wasn't compelled to listen to the whole thing.

81 - 'Feds Watching' by 2 Chainz feat. Pharrell
Thoughts: I hate rap...

80 - 'Hit Me' by Mystikal
Thoughts: Seriously??? Next...

79 - 'Alive' by Empire of the Sun
Thoughts: I was hopeful about this one, but what has happened to music??

78 - 'Victim of Love' by Charles Bradley
Thoughts: Look! Real music!

77 - 'Tom Ford' by Jay-Z
Thoughts: Next!

76 - 'Bubble Butt' by Major Lazer (feat. Bruno Mars, 2 Chainz, Tyga & Mystic)
Thoughts: um... I am not even sure what to say about this one.

75 - 'Shout it Out' by Mikal Cronin
Thoughts: Just kind of 'meh' for me.

74 - 'Pusha Man' by Chance the Rapper feat Nate Fox and Liki K
Thoughts: Another reason why I don't listen to new music.

73 - 'Chamakay' by Blood Orange
Thoughts: I had high hopes when this one started, but nope, not for me.

72 - 'Sirens' by Pearl Jam
Thoughts: I have heard this song before actually. One of few on this list I can say that about! I don't mind Pearl Jam, but I don't like the singer...

71 - 'Old Love/New Love' by Twin Shadow
Thoughts: I am kind of losing hope with this list...

70 - 'Man' by Neko Case
Thoughts: Not terrible...

2 comments:

  1. I haven't listened to most of these songs. I don't know if that's sad or what. I do love Q.U.E.E.N. by Janelle Mone.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Darius Rucker has one of my most favorite voices, ever! I hadn't bought this album yet, but I'll remedy that right now! I had bought Wagon Wheel a while ago. I already own the first two albums, and I highly recommend them. And if DR is ONE of my favorite voices, Eddie Vedder's is THE favorite. I have the album Sirens is on - Lightening Bolt. I love him with Pearl Jam and I especially love his Ukulele Songs. Other than those two, I don't know any of the songs. I'll be interested in the rest of the list.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and commenting!

I am so sorry, but I turned anonymous commenting off. I have had it from the very beginning, but that is how the spam is getting by my spam filter at the moment. If it is a big deal I will turn it back on and moderate all comments. I also changed moderation from older than 14 days to older than 7.