Sunday, June 19, 2016

Week in Review - Week 25


Random Thoughts

Happy Father's Day to all the father's out there!

This week was kind of a whirlwind. I am not even sure where it all went. I know that my reading is all over the place and leaning towards shorter works or nothing at all. I think I have a lot on my mind. Regular readers (and friends) will know that I broke my ankle in July of last year. We are heading towards the one-year anniversary and I find it sort of hanging over my head because it has been a year and I am still not nearly back to close to normal. I had a busy weekend and right now my ankle is reminding me. I just find it kind of depressing and when I get depressed, it affects my reading.

Graphic Novel Year

Wet Moon - Volume 1: Feeble Wanderings
Starve - Volume 1
Thors: Battleworld
Star War - Volume 2: Showdown on Smuggler's Moon
Star Wars: Darth Vader - Volume 2: Shadows and Secrets

Currently Reading


Audiobook


Weekly Reading

Princesses Behaving Badly (audio) ~ Holy, is history entertaining. In some of these scenarios, if they were men their actions would not even be considered 'behaving badly'. As they are women, though, they pushed the norms of the time and made for some fascinating listening. And, the thing is, the author even says that men wrote the story of these women in many cases, so they are stories that likely still have been altered or remembered wrong. It was great reading, though, and I am glad I finally got to it! Recommended!

Wet Moon - Volume 1: Feeble Wanderings ~ I bought the recent LBGTQ Humble Bundle and this comic was included. It was definitely different than my normal reading and I am not sure if I loved it enough to read on in the series, but I did like it. It is supposed to be normal life, but also not. It kind of pushes outside the norms and follows a young generation trying to get their head together. I can see this series being liked by many!


Starve - Volume 1 ~ This is another one that I got from Humble Bundle. It was quite the spin on the reality TV fads of the last few years. This is a competitive cooking show. If I was reading a review of this, I might not have ran out to get a copy. But, having read it, I though it was really well done. Apparently, even in a future that the world has started to fall apart in, there are still cooking shows as an outlet. While it is classified as LBGTQ, and the main character is gay, that is not the entire issue. It is one I recommend!

Every Heart a Doorway ~ I have heard really good things about this and it was a daily deal last week, so I quickly grabbed a copy. As longer works are not seeming to work for me, I thought a novella would. And, it did! I really really loved this and am so glad that I finally have read Seanan McGuire! It might be a shorter work, but it covers many things that I really love and does it so well! If you get a chance to read this, definitely do! Strongly recommended!


Flowers for Algernon (audio-reread) ~ This has long been one of my favourite books ever and I decided to reread it on audio this time. I loved it yet again! I don't even know what it is about this book that has always connected with me. (Those that know me, know that I am not a big rereader). I have read this book over and over again and love it every time. I flew through this audio. It is just a very human story that people can ultimately relate to even if for a different reason than Charley. I still strongly recommend this one!

Thors: Batteworld ~ I just have to face fact, I am not a huge fan of Battleworld and Secret Wars. I just want it go back to regular storylines (which it technically has, but I read on Marvel Unlimited). I really liked the first issue of this series, but ultimately was disappointed with the volume overall. I look at my unread comics on Marvel Unlimited and am tempted to just skip the rest of this even entirely...



Star Wars - Volume 2: Showdown on Smuggler's Moon ~ Instead, I decided to catch up on Star Wars. There are so many series branching out because of the new movie and I am so happy that Star Wars is popular for new generations and that I get to enjoy them, too! It is fun to go back when Luke, Leia, and Hans were younger and fill in some stories that have never been told before. It is like visiting with old friends and I am happy to do so. Strongly recommended!


Star Wars: Darth Vader - Volume 2: Shadows and Secrets ~ Another series in the Star Wars franchise is featuring Darth Vader. He is slightly different than you see in the movies. I think they were trying to showcase other sides of him? Plus, it includes a female character named Aphra. That is one thing about old Star Wars, no female characters really... I am not quite as invested in this storyline as I am in others, but I do look forward to reading on! Recommended!


New Additions

Nothing this week...

Weekly Posts

Week in Review - Week 24
30 Days of Books - Day 17
30 Days of Books - Day 18
30 Days of Books - Day 19
30 Days of Books - Day 20
30 Days of Books - Day 21
30 Days of Books - Day 22

Weekly Pictures





8 comments:

  1. I'm so sorry about your ankle. I broke mine about 10 years ago (and did a fantastic job on breaking it) and even now I can feel it the next day if I've been on my feet all day or spent too much time in heels. It is getting better though and while it will hurt the next day it isn't nearly as bad. I'm not good at reading when I'm feeling down either but hopefully you'll find something that will pull you and distract you for a bit. Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope you feel better soon. I can never read if I am depressed so I hope this passes soon.

    I love the sound of Princesses Behaving Badly. Definitely one that I need to pick up. Enjoy your week!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I want to read Feed. One of these days I'll finally crack it open. I love that you're a big rereader. I wish I made time for rereading.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My reading has been ridiculously slow all month... not depressed, just distracted and busy and in need of a brain break, I think. I'm sure both of our reading mojos will be back soon :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I still have trouble with my ankle from when I broke it a few years ago. The doctor warned me that because of my age, it might always bother me now and then. :-( I am sorry you've been feeling so down. What do you think of Gods and Monsters so far? And Feed? Mira Grant comes highly recommended, but I've yet to try her books.

    Take care of yourself, Kelly. As my friend always tells me, be gentle with yourself. I hope you have a good week!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I so hear you about your ankle. My once broken surgically repaired ankle, whom I "affectionately" refer to as Frank (N. Ankle), is nearing his (uh...its) one year anniversary of brokenness, too. It's definitely a lot better than it was, but I never quite know how much "normal" activity it'll put up with. And even if it puts up with activity it usually swells up to the size of a baseball even while wearing my oh-so-stylish compression socks. Definitely depressing when I think too much about it, so I try my best not to, but it's hard when your ankle's always with you and refuses to be ignored. One moment of stupid clumsiness should not be able to have such far reaching repercussions. :-(

    Hope yours (and mine!) will still improve in the long run!

    And I knew I should have purchased Every Heart a Doorway when it was on the daily deal. Blew it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have Princesses Behaving Badly on audio... must get to it! Also, I need to listen to you and get to FEED already.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love Flowers for Algernon, which I've read twice, but it makes me so sad!

    And you're so right, history can be fascinating (if not showing is how skewed things can be!). I can't imagine what they'll be able to write about people in general behaving badly today.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and commenting!

I am so sorry, but I turned anonymous commenting off. I have had it from the very beginning, but that is how the spam is getting by my spam filter at the moment. If it is a big deal I will turn it back on and moderate all comments. I also changed moderation from older than 14 days to older than 7.