Friday, December 16, 2005

Memoirs of a Geisha - Arthur Golden (November/05)


Such a wonderful book, I have to say it. It is so unbelievable that it is about a female Geisha written by a male author. He does a very good job capturing what it is to a woman. I learned a lot about the culture of these people through this novel. I will admit that I had always been one of those people that thought that a Geisha was a prostitute, but through this novel you learn that they were more like entertainers. They were treated like royalty because men were the important members of society and these women made life better for them. Of course, you could sleep with the man but that usually happened once they owned you. It was not an ideal arrangement, but that is the culture she lived in. The geisha in the novel starts out her life as a poor fishermans daughter and ends up having everything that she has ever dreamed of. Minus a period where the Geisha work was shut down because of the war. She may never have become a geisha either, if not for a kind man that treated her well when she was no one. She did everything for him and the chance to see him again. You really feel for the characters in this book. I can not wait to see the movie and see how well they capture the novel.

4.5/5

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by and commenting!

I am so sorry, but I turned anonymous commenting off. I have had it from the very beginning, but that is how the spam is getting by my spam filter at the moment. If it is a big deal I will turn it back on and moderate all comments. I also changed moderation from older than 14 days to older than 7.