Thursday, May 10, 2007

Glass Houses by Rachel Caine



Books Completed: 59
Completion Date: April 2007
Publication Year: 2006
Pages: 256
Owned Prior to 2007
From the author of the popular Weather Warden series. Welcome to Morganville, Texas.

Just don't stay out after dark.

College freshman Claire Danvers has had enough of her nightmarish dorm situation, where the popular girls never let her forget just where she ranks in the school's social scene: somewhere less than zero.

When Claire heads off-campus, the imposing old house where she finds a room may not be much better. Her new roommates don't show many signs of life. But they'll have Claire's back when the town's deepest secrets come crawling out, hungry for fresh blood.
I have heard a lot of interesting things about Rachel Caine throughout the blogsphere, but mostly for her Weather Warden series. While I own the first book in that series, I was drawn to read this young adult series first. Following the footsteps of the paranormal-type books that are currently very popular, it was an interesting debut for a new series. I was happy that I read it right around the time when the new book in the series came out because the ending annoyed me. Not that it was a bad, but because it left things without a conclusive ending.

Claire is an interesting character. She is a normal teen with problems of fitting in a very prevalent image to her character. Things have been very bad for her, though, because she has unintentionally found herself the enemy of the majority of the "cool" kids simply because she corrected one of them in their knowledge. This leads to her having to escape from the campus because she is in fear for her life. She ends up at the home of three outcasts that help her find her way in this strange town.

She goes from being the enemy of all to having people protecting her back and siding with her when trouble arises. She suddenly has friends that help her out and show her the secrets of the town that she has wound up going to university in. I look forward to seeing what happens next in this series. The vampires are interesting in this series, too.

4/5

2 comments:

  1. I've always enjoyed the odd Vampire books but find good ones few and far between, your review makes me curious about this one so I just might have to seek it out ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous5:39 PM

    I wish all these great vampire books that seem to have flourished in the past couple of years were out when I was a teenager.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and commenting!

I am so sorry, but I turned anonymous commenting off. I have had it from the very beginning, but that is how the spam is getting by my spam filter at the moment. If it is a big deal I will turn it back on and moderate all comments. I also changed moderation from older than 14 days to older than 7.