Thursday, June 04, 2009

Movies and Bad Bloggers

So, I gave up on doing my movie posts as Thursday Thirteens because I really don't watch that many movies! Since my last post I watched:

Godfather 1: A rewatch. I really like this trilogy. I am looking forward to seeing the sequels soon!

When Harry Met Sally: Funniest movie ever! I just adore Billy Crystal. He really is one of the funniest people alive, wouldn't you say? (A rewatch)

The Duchess: Pretty good movie, I suppose. I should admit that we watched it because the book says on the back something about a menage a trois. The cc found this idea interesting because really, I never in a million years thought he would want to watch it! (Speaking of the book, the font size is ridiculous! I honestly think I will have to read it with a magnifying glass because even though my eyes are fine up close, I find it really hard on my eyes!)

Then, I have decided to wrap-up bad bloggers and start fresh! The winners are Nymeth and Chris (Stuff as Dreams). They will both be receiving a book, but the rest is a surprise! I hope to get around to sorting that out this weekend.

So, starting over Bad Bloggers. Today I went to the library and picked up:

Wishful Drinking by Carrie Fisher - I was waiting in line and it was on the table... It seemed like a logical book choice because I have recently watched Star Wars and When Harry Met Sally.

Where Bones Dance: An English Girlhood, An African War by Nina Newington - Same table... It looked really interesting!

The Astonishing Life of Octavian Nothing - Volume 1: The Pox Party by M.T. Anderson - Point for Becky, I believe.

House of Many Ways by Diana Wynne-Jones - Well, I got this because it was the only book I hadn't read in a category for an award.... but, it's a sequel to a book I haven't read yet, so I think I might have to hold off on this book!

Lavinia by Ursula K Le Guin - I liked what I have read by her recently, so I figured I would try something else!

The Order of Good Cheer by Bill Gaston - Same table. It was the title... I knew that the Order of Good Cheer was from Canada's wonderful history, so I picked it up for a closer look and brought it home with me!

I was so proud that I was bringing back three books and taking three home with me, so it wouldn't affect my TBR pile, and then there was a line-up and I ended up browsing! Oh, well!

8 comments:

  1. I love When Harry Met Sally! It's such a funny but awesome movie. I haven't seen The Duchess movie, but I read the biography back when it was called Georgiana, Duchess of Devonshire and didn't have Keira Knightley plastered all over the cover. I liked it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I'm so glad you mentioned Wishful Drinking. Carrie Fisher was on the Diane Rehm's Show on NPR months ago talking about her book, and it sounded sooooo interesting. But I'd since forgotten all about it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! Great minds think alike. I just borrowed Lavinia from the library. :)

    ~Amanda

    ReplyDelete
  4. Meghan: Yeah, I could do without the movie cover for the book! That's for sure! I received it as a review copy and haven't read it yet...

    When Harry Met Sally is a great movie!

    Debi: I have read Wishful Drinking already and it was fun! I hope you get a chance to read it.

    Bookwormom: That's great! I hope we both enjoy it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. yay! Thank you, thank you! I'd been avoiding Google Reader all day, and it turns out I was missing out on great news.

    I still haven't read House of Many Ways! Castle in the Air would make sense without having read Howl's first, but it's always more fun if you already know the characters. Plus, they're both awesome, so I hope you read them :P

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ana: Are you saying that it is a trilogy? I thought it was just two books. I guess I will have to go look it up! Regardless Howl's is on hold for me at the library.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've heard that Wishful Drinking is a great read. I usually don't read too many celeb-memoirs, but a friend of mine whose really into them recommended this one and also Tatum O'Neal's A Paper Life.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Joanne: I don't read a lot of celeb memoirs, either. Actually, the only other recent ones that come to mind were Alan Alda's and I read those because he is really funny! I will keep Tatum O'Neal's book in mind.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and commenting!

I am so sorry, but I turned anonymous commenting off. I have had it from the very beginning, but that is how the spam is getting by my spam filter at the moment. If it is a big deal I will turn it back on and moderate all comments. I also changed moderation from older than 14 days to older than 7.